Menopause is not a single point in time when hormone production is switched off but a gradual decline that brings an end to female fertility. During menopause, a woman’s levels of estrogen and progesterone diminish – leading to a lack of menstrual periods.
The right balance of hormones is vital to a woman’s health. However, in menopause, when changes are taking place, a deficiency of one hormone can trigger a relative excess of another and result in common imbalances such as the following:
- Estrogen dominance or low progesterone: results in mood swings, migraines and fat gain in the hips and thighs
- Low Estrogen or fluctuations of estrogen: triggers hot flashes, night sweats, palpitations, foggy thinking and memory lapse
- Low testosterone or DHEA: leads to decreases in bone or muscle mass, metabolism, energy, strength, stamina, exercise tolerance and libido
- High cortisol: results in insomnia, anxiety, sugar cravings, feeling tired but wired and increased belly fat
- Low cortisol: causes chronic fatigue, low energy, food and sugar cravings, poor exercise tolerance or recovery and low immune reserves
- Thyroid imbalances: changes in estrogen levels can lead to thyroid symptoms like slowed metabolism and always feeling cold
- Low vitamin D: sufficient levels of Vitamin D, estrogen and testosterone are important for maintaining bone health
This test measures the following:
- Diurnal cortisol (4 times throughout the day)
- Sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG)
*This test is a combination of saliva and blood spot testing.
Instructions for ordering this test
1. Choose your eNRG Performance Sport Dietitian in the drop down box below and submit payment.
2. Your Sport Dietitian will contact you via email to confirm your address and we will mail the test collection kit to you.
3. Once you receive the collection kit, you will collect your sample and mail it to the lab for testing (pre-paid envelope is included).
4. Your Sport Dietitian will email you when he/she receives your results and will schedule your 45 minute nutrition coaching session to review the test results and help you with a nutrition plan that will help support your health and exercise performance related goals.
*includes a 45 minute nutrition coaching session with your eNRG Performance Sport Dietitian