February Recipe of the Month: Chocolate Cherry Bites
The delicious combination of chocolate and cherry in bite-size nibbles is this month’s featured recipe created by Dina Griffin, Sport Dietitian at eNRG Performance . The dates and cherries add sweetness while the cacao nibs and raw cocoa powder provide a rich flavor. You can use these as a snack while out on a hike, bike ride, or long run…or as a dessert that is sure to satisfy.
Chocolate Cherry Bites
Yields: 20 bites
3:1 ratio of carbohydrate to protein
- In a food processor (with the S-blade), mix first 6 ingredients for 1-2 minutes or until well-combined.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix for another 30-60 seconds to incorporate well.
- Roll into small bite-size balls and store in the freezer or refrigerator.
- 1/2 c pitted dates (4 Medjool)
- 3/4 c tart dried cherries
- 1/4 c raw almonds
- 1/2 c raw cashews (note: you can opt to use just one nut variety)
- 2 Tbsp natural almond butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 25 grams unflavored protein powder (whey protein isolate used)
- 2 Tbsp cacao nibs
- 1 Tbsp raw, unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp celtic sea salt (or any sea salt)