Men are just as susceptible to an age-related drop in hormone production as females. Andropause, the "male menopause", signifies the retreat of the key male hormone testosterone. As a man ages, his body naturally makes less testosterone. In fact, by the time a man is in his mid-forties, testosterone levels can decrease up to 40%. Lifestyle factors such as excessive stress, weight gain and lack of exercise can lower levels even further.
Men tend to notice a subtle downward shift in strength and energy first, followed by lack of enthusiasm for life’s challenges like work and competition. A man may also lose interest in sex. The hidden imbalances contributing to these factors generally include:
- Low testosterone: leads to decreased stamina and libido, fatigue and erectile dysfunction
- High estrogen: results in weight gain, increased chest and belly fat, hot flashes, night sweats and excessive need to urinate
- High cortisol: results in insomnia, anxiety, sugar cravings, feeling tired but wired and increased belly fat
- Low cortisol: causes chronic fatigue, low energy, food and sugar cravings, poor exercise tolerance or recovery and low immune reserves
- Thyroid imbalances: this condition is commonly missed in men and may often mimic symptoms of low testosterone
This test measures the following:
- Diurnal cortisol (4 times throughout the day)
- Sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG)
- Prostate specific antigen (PSA)
*This test is a combination of saliva and blood spot testing.
Instructions for ordering this test
1. Choose your eNRG Performance Sport Dietitian in the drop down box below and submit payment.
2. Your Sport Dietitian will contact you via email to confirm your address and we will mail the test collection kit to you.
3. Once you receive the collection kit, you will collect your sample and mail it to the lab for testing (pre-paid envelope is included).
4. Your Sport Dietitian will email you when he/she receives your results and will schedule your 45 minute nutrition coaching session to review the test results and help you with a nutrition plan that will help support your health and exercise performance related goals.
*includes a 45 minute nutrition coaching session with your eNRG Performance Sport Dietitian